The first of a series of community forums on the selection of a new superintendent for the Long Beach Unified School District is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 11 in the Cabrillo High School Auditorium, 2001 Santa Fe Ave., Long Beach. Six more meetings also have been scheduled through March 14.
In December, Superintendent Christopher J. Steinhauser announced his retirement effective at the end of this academic year. The Board of Education has since approved a process to select a new superintendent of schools. The approved timeline calls for a new superintendent to be selected as early as May 6.
The approved process, available at lbschools.net, also provides details on the search for internal and external candidates, recruitment strategy and public outreach, including an advisory committee and various community meetings.
The forums will be live-streamed via YouTube. The school district also will offer a chance for members of the public to provide feedback on the superintendent selection electronically via Thought Exchange from Feb. 24 to March 6. Access to the Thought Exchange will be provided via the school district home page, school websites, emails to students, staff and parents, social media and other means.
The schedule of remaining community forums is:
• 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, Lakewood High School Auditorium, 4400 Briercrest, Lakewood
• 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 18, Jordan High School Community Room, 6500 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach
• 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 24, Wilson High School Auditorium, 4400 E. 10th St., Long Beach
• 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 3, Renaissance High School for the Arts, Performing Arts Center, 235 E. 8th St., Long Beach
• 6 p.m. Thursday, March 5, Prisk Elementary School Auditorium, 2375 Fanwood Ave., Long Beach
• 9 a.m. Saturday, March 14, Cabrillo High School Auditorium, 2001 Santa Fe Ave., Long Beach.
Find updates and related resources here or by going to Superintendent Selection in the A-Z index at lbschools.net.